Monday, January 17, 2022

A strange sight on the horizon

 

A ghostly apparition; white sheeted and in formation.  I took this photo with the highest zoom I could from where I was.

 

Beekeepers?  Headstones?  Zombies?  Couldn’t figure it out from the little screen on the back of the camera.  I thought that might be the best look I was going to get, but the road wound its way around a rise and I popped right out next to another section of the mystery; a close-up.

 

It appears to be an orchard.  We’ve seen a lot of newly planted orchards, but we’ve never seen one where every tree was wrapped in a bag.  I don’t know why they wrapped all these trees in bags.  Would they do that as protection against frost or a freeze?  They could be isolating the trees to prevent cross-pollination, but the orchard looks too new to be harvesting a bunch of fruit.  Pest control?

 

I’m going to settle my guess on freeze protection.  There are newly planted orchards of thousands of trees near us that were killed by a freeze last February.  Maybe this is a way to get an orchard safely through its first couple tender years.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment