Thursday, December 12, 2019

Now I remember

 

The other thing I was going to say about traveling.

 

In the rental car, there was no Sirius Radio.  Being by myself all day and night, I couldn’t just turn on the radio and hear a familiar voice.  I had a regular car radio though, so I turned it on.  It was preset to FM and I listen to that for a while and explored the options.  After a time, I got tired of Cuban music and trying to follow along with what they were saying in Spanish, and decided to try AM.  The first thing I found in English was Rush Limbaugh.  I don’t usually listen to right wing radio, but I’m open minded; I can listen to all sides of a story.  I made it about two minutes.  There wasn’t any story.  Rush’s presentation is not appealing to me.  It tends to strike me as whiney, and he was certainly whiney that day.  The irony is what he was whining about; Democrats and how whiney they are!  That was a little much.

 

Okay, so I moved on.  What else I found in English was sports talk radio.  I’m not a big fan of sports talk radio; I kind of like some sports, but I don’t obsess about any of them.  Talk radio does.  But you know what I got?  Familiar voices.  I caught a portion of the Dan Patrick Show.  That’s a voice I know.  And Jim Rome.  Jim Rome?  He’s still on the air?  I was immediately transported to the jungle; a clone.  It was awesome.  He was ranting about something or other, some football player who was playing and shouldn’t be, and some football player who wasn’t playing and should be.  It didn’t matter what he was talking about, or whether I knew who the football players he was talking about were, he was hilarious.  It didn’t matter how much he faded in and out through the static as I drove in and out of range of the station; I enjoyed the familiar voice.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment