Friday, September 2, 2022

Do I really want to do this?

 

 

I will, because it’s part of the natural world around us that we spend so much time in and admire so much.

 

Usually, I just send out the prettiest wildlife pictures I can take.  But in our time out watching what nature does, we’re regularly reminded that survival is a constant battle.  If you’re feeling a little squeamish, you may not want to read any further.  Just crumple this up and toss it.

 

The good news is, Freddy is okay.

 

The bad news is, some other little toad had a bad day.


 

He got swallowed.

 

I know this is just how life goes.  Every critter survives at the expense of some other plants or animals.  In the grand scheme of things, it’s the balance of nature.  On an individual level, it can be brutal.


 

My sympathies are with the prey more than with the successful predator.  Can’t tell if the compression on this little guy has already caused him to expire, or if he’s just waiting out the inevitable, thinking “damn”.

 

From a ribbon snake’s perspective though, it was surely a fine day!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment