Thursday, September 15, 2022

Brother Bill

 

 

Did I ever confess my confusion about backpacking prep lists?  All those years ago, on our first backpacking trip together in Colorado, we were comparing backpacking lists to make sure we weren’t missing anything.  I saw a tide table on yours.  Tide.  That’s the detergent we’ve always used to wash our clothes.  I immediately went there.  A tide table.  I couldn’t figure out why or how we could bring a table for washing clothes, but I knew you wouldn’t pack anything unnecessarily heavy, so I just waited to see what it turned out to be.

 

It never turned out to be anything on that trip in Colorado.  It wasn’t until a later trip, on the Olympic Peninsula, that I was able to escape that first fatal logic flaw and realize that a tide table didn’t have anything to do with washing clothes; you needed to bring along a tide chart anytime you might be walking along the coast.  Don’t want to get caught out on a spit at the bottom of a cliff during a rising tide.  Not an issue I ever had to consider on my backcountry trips in Colorado.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment