Thursday, June 6, 2024

Geopolitics and the global order

 

 

Offshoring talent

Latest tech tools and technologies

Elevating the client experience

A fresh look at partner compensation models

31 hours of continuing education accomplished

The Engage 2024 Conference is over.  Engage 2025 is already in my schedule for next year.

 

Quote of the day: “Kindness without accountability is a recipe for entitlement.”

I struggle with this one.  I want to be able to be kind without demanding something in return.  Entitlement as a result would be a disappointing unintended consequence.  I’m still haunted by an episode of Anthony Bourdain.  He was in Haiti doing a food segment.  At the end of the event, there was food left over.  What to do with that?  Throw it out?  There were hungry kids standing right outside the door.  Give it to them.  The best of intentions.  Word spread at lightning speed.  Little kids got pushed out of the way by bigger kids.  Hungry adults pushed their way in.  The police showed up and started beating people to restore order.  Chaos.  The best of intentions.  Unintended consequences.  That sucked.

 

But I still need to come to a conclusion for how I feel about the quote, “Kindness without accountability is a recipe for entitlement” I’m going to disagree with the premise.  If I have to demand something in return for kindness, isn’t that more like a purchase?  There can be negative unintended consequences as a result but it’s not an absolute.  Sometimes kindness without accountability is just kindness.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment