Monday, September 25, 2023

Did I tell this story?

 

 

Belle Isle.

 

Years ago, I spent an entire summer in Detroit on an accounting assignment.  It was a contract with the federal government and the reimbursement rules only allowed travel home to Colorado every other weekend, so I did a lot of driving around to explore.  I found this wonderful place called Belle Isle.  It’s in the Detroit River which runs between Lake Huron and Lake Erie.

 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Belle+Isle/@42.3423977,-82.9996621,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x8824d4b2383fbbd3:0x3da444fedb5e0199!8m2!3d42.3432541!4d-82.9743495!16zL20vMDE1c3I0?entry=ttu

 


 

Drive across a lone bridge to get there.  The entire island is an urban park.  A sharp contrast to downtown Detroit.  There are roads to explore, trails to walk, lakes within the island, grassy sports fields, a conservatory, playgrounds, forests, and a giant old crusty multi-tiered fountain on the south end.  I found some photos on the internet.

 


 


 


 


 

Everything about Belle Isle in the 1980s felt a little long in the tooth, run-down, but run-down just added to the character.  It was magical; my favorite place to spend time away from work.  (While I had to be out of town.)

 

Mom was still alive then, so immediately when I got home the first time after my discovery, I shared it with her; my new favorite place.  She sat quietly while I described everything about it, then said, “You know, your dad was from Detroit.  That was his favorite place.”  He took her there to show it off, way back when it was fresh.  Long after Dad was dead, I had unwittingly discovered a favorite place of his that I had never heard of.  We got to share that, not at the same time, but together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment