Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Economics

 

 

When I was younger, I thought of the cost of acquisition as the price of an object.  If I paid a certain price for something, I was done.  Now it was mine.

 

As I got older though, I gradually realized that the cost of acquisition was only the beginning.  Everything a person buys has a continuing cost.  Houses, cars, bicycles, boats.  Each item has to be maintained, maybe even repaired from time to time.  If nothing else, it takes up space.  It has to be housed.

 

The real price of an acquisition is what a person pays for it plus all the future costs.  For the future, every acquisition requires an endowment, either in the form of money set aside for its lifetime costs, or more commonly, a share of a continuing income stream for the life of the object.  The more things we own, the more continuing costs we’ve accumulated, the less flexibility we have, and the more dependent we are on that endowment or continuing income stream.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment