Monday, July 3, 2023

Not what I expected

 

 

When I decided to do a little resistance training two days a week with kettlebells, I thought any muscle tone I restored, or core strength I gained, would be offset from fat reserves.  It would be an equal exchange.  My weight would stay the same.  What I found is that my weight went up five pounds.

 

I checked with Dr Google, and Dr Google said the strangest thing.  The good doctor explains that as part of the process of resistance training, the body retains more water in response to the muscle stress, and it’s not uncommon to retain an extra 5 or 10 pounds of water.  I’m a little skeptical.  This is me with a scrunchy face.  That means anyone on a weight loss program that also includes strength training would first have to gain 5 or 10 pounds of water weight before they would see any loss.  That’s the most innocent explanation for my weight gain though, water weight, so I think I’ll go with it.  And have a salad for dinner.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment