Thursday, October 6, 2022

I imagine

 

 

I imagine that someday I’ll repeat that backpacking trip brother Bill and I did all those years ago.  The second day in, we rounded a corner and unexpectedly came upon The Eagle, a feature in the Indian Peaks Wilderness that I had never heard of and wasn’t expecting.  It took my breath away.  We camped on the edge of a high-country lake at the foot of The Eagle, Lone Eagle Peak, that night as the only campers there.


(Not my photo, but it captures the spirit.)

 

In the occasional moment of lucidity, I consider that carrying a backpack over steep terrain at high altitude to spend the night at a remote backcountry lake may actually be a little beyond my remaining capacity.  The trailhead is at 10,000 feet.  Pawnee Pass is 12,500.  Lone Eagle Peak is on the other side.

 

But then I think “Naah.  I could still do this!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment