Tuesday, June 2, 2020

You’re never too old to learn something new

  

…and I was excited to.

 

All my life driving, what controls how long I go, how far we drive in a day, is the ache I get in my right leg, back, and butt.  When my butt’s done, I’m done.  Of course, it took all day to get to that point when I was younger, but it comes so much sooner as I get older.  I also notice that the problem never happens from my office chair.  I can get a little stiff from sitting too long, but nothing like what happens after a long day’s drive.  Since my right leg is the problem, I though it might have to do with working the gas pedal, but prolonged highway driving on cruise control rarely involves the gas pedal, so that might not be much of a factor.

 

But I googled my issue, and I found the solution!  There is a guy with medical experience and a website who has figured out that we get that pain from driving because of the design of cars and how we sit.  Cars are made so we’ll sit low, reach our legs way out for the pedals, lean back with our arms outstretched for the steering wheel, and slouch our way down the road.  All we need to do it adjust the seat up straight and sit closer to the wheel.  It’s all about posture.  Better posture will take the pressure off the nerve that’s being offended and problem solved!  Yes.  A new thing.  I am so glad to learn this.

 

So off we go today on the drive to Corpus Christi and back for Judy’s follow-up knee appointment; me sitting up uncomfortably and unnaturally straight.  My arms not fully extended for the steering wheel, but well-bent.  Prescribed posture adopted!

 

Well, after a 300 mile round-trip to Corpus and back today, I can report…  …it didn’t make a damn bit of difference!  I learned something new, but it didn’t turn out to be true.  I sure hope I didn’t have to kick something true out of my brain to make way for that!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment