Monday, June 10, 2019

Monday

  

Travel day.  We waited until after rush hour, then drove north through Calgary.  We drove into Calgary a couple times over the weekend.  It was difficult to navigate.  There is so much construction there are lanes and roads closed everywhere.  Even with our digital navigation system, Lisa, telling me what to do, and Judy telling me what Lisa was telling me to do, I got wrong-laned and wrong-turned over and over.  I was terrible.  But for every wrong turn, the navigator comes up with another set of options to get back on track.  Eventually it works out.  I should say that we really enjoyed Calgary.

 

Another easy drive on good roads.  The windshield view.

 

We’re still on the plains surrounded by agricultural fields between the cities.  Speaking of big cities, we’re almost out of them.  Calgary.  Edmonton.  That’s about it.  We’ll drive through smaller towns, but won’t hit another big city until Fairbanks.  Agricultural fields with no pivot sprinklers or flood irrigation, just rainfall.

 

I remember the good old days; the good old days when I used to get a song stuck in my head.  Today I’ve got phrases of a comedy LP by Spike Jones going round and round:

 

“Here’s your gun.”

“I don’t need a gun; I’m going to throw that gang out one-by-one.”

“I hope you know what you’re talking about.”

“You just count ‘em as I throw ‘em out.”

@!#$^&^%%$#@#$%^^.  Thud.

“One.”

“Stop counting, it’s me!”

 

I haven’t heard that since the 1950s and it just showed up in my head for no reason.  Please.  Just shoot me now.

 

Stopped for the night at a nice little  RV park in Stony Plain, Alberta.

 

The Great 2019 Alaska Trip map

 

Hit the Beer Hunter for very good wings and tacos at dinner.

 

And a walk at Rotary Park.

 

I never paid any attention to Rotary before.  I think I like them.

 

The four way test for what to say and do.  “Is it the truth?  Is it fair?  Will it build goodwill and friendships?  Will it be beneficial?  I like those founding words.

 

Sunset tonight 10:04.  Last light 10:45.  Now we’re going to bed at night before it’s all the way dark.

 

1,801 miles to Fairbanks.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment