Sunday, November 29, 2020

La Sal Vieja

  

Old Salt.

 

La Sal Vieja Map

 

Another of the salt lakes.

 

The trailhead.

 

A Harris's Hawk to welcome me.

 

Engulfed in the chortling calls of sandhill cranes in flight.

 

 

A walk up the trail.

 

 

 

 

 

A small pond on the way.

 

 

A morning vulture liftoff.

 

 

The approach to the lake.

 

 

And the view.

 

 

A look back.

 

Salt harvesting equipment decaying in neglect.

 

 

This is my second trip here recently.  It turns out we have a salt scientist among our friends.  (Yes, that really is a thing.)  I made a trip here to collect a sample, but it didn't turn out like I wanted.  I didn't have the right tools, and the hard crusty sample I collected came with a lot of dirt and debris attached.

 

So this time I returned with more sophisticated scientific equipment.

 

And was able to scrape off a top layer of salt to collect a much cleaner sample.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment