Saturday, February 8, 2020

Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge

 

Where I did my long walk.  There is a seven-mile paved loop road.

Vehicles are no longer permitted on the road, so it makes for a quiet smooth walk.  That was worth a couple laps.

 

Then it was time to wander the dirt trails.

 

 

 

 

Past plastic tubes sheltering seedlings planted to reforest a huge section along the river.

 

 

And a section of trail that had been churned up by something.

 

I was running through my mind what animal might do that much damage to dirt.  Javelina?  Wild boar?  I discovered the culprit a couple of bends in the trail later when I startled an armadillo engaged in destroying the trail.  He got off before I could get a photo of him.

 

Past local history.

 

On a trail out to the river I found where the rangers had marked an owl pellet

 

A pellet is what owls regurgitate once they’ve done all the digesting they can of teeth, skulls, claws, fur, and feathers they’ve eaten.  The gizzard compacts the indigestibles into a solid pellet and sends it back out a less dangerous route for the bird than passing all the way through the digestive tract.

 

And bobcat scat.

 

Right along one edge of the park, broccoli as far as the eye can see.

 

And onions.

 

Into the evening light.

 

And back to my little car waiting all by itself in the parking lot. 

 

Last one out.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment