Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Brother David

 

Sent this great shot of a high-altitude observatory on a peak in Switzerland (Jungfraujoch).

 

Seeing that image sends me immediately back in time to my first sighting of NCAR, the National Center for Atmospheric Research from below in Boulder in 1968.  (Not my photos.  These are collected from the web.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s that?”

“NCAR.”

“What does it do?  How can I get a job there?  That’s where I want to work!”

 

I wasn’t an atmospheric scientist, so never got a job there, but I got to drive the winding road up from Table Mesa any time I needed an NCAR fix.  Now, NCAR is surrounded by open space and parklands with trails branching off in both directions along the Front Range and into the canyons and peaks.  The public is invited to park in their lot for free and enjoy the glory of the environs at their pleasure.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment