Friday, January 11, 2019

For perspective

 

 Here is what the existing border fence looks like.  I took these photos at one of the planned gaps.  By my experience, there is at least one border patrol vehicle there at all times.


 On the Mexico side.

 

On the U.S. side.

 

We can look at the SUV in the first photo for a size comparison.  That would make the fence about 20 feet high by my guess.

 

Of course, both sides of the fence are built on U.S. soil.  It’s not Mexico on the other side of the fence.  It’s Mexico on the other side of the river.  The river is a little farther south.  Here is the intersection where I was standing when I took the photos:

 

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0900645,-98.249046,123m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

You can scroll out a little to see the disconnect between the wall and the river.  Look at the path of the river and you can see why it’s impractical for the wall to run right along the river.

 

Here is a locked gate at the town of Hidalgo.

 

Here is a walking trail on the other side of the fence.

 

If you follow that trail far enough you come to that same locked gate, only from the other side of the fence.

 

It was a little disconcerting to have walked those miles and be back so close to where I started that day, yet faced with an impenetrable barrier.  Of course, I retraced my route, past the border patrol SUV guarding the opening, and walked my way back to the car, feeling blessed that it was that easy for me.

 

Here is the location of the gate in the photos above.

 

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.0957563,-98.2613919,123m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

If you scroll left and right on the satellite view, you’ll see places where it looks like there is no wall.  In those places, there is a cement barrier and a 15 foot drop-off to the level on the other side.

 

Here is what the tiny poor Hispanic border town of Hidalgo looks like lit up at Christmas.

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment