Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mission accomplished

 

Over the course of four successive Saturdays, I walked every trail and road at Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge.

 

It wasn’t a heroic pace to spread it over four different days.  It came out to less than forty miles of walking.

 

I got to see a lot of stuff.  A forest like a jungle.  Lakes, trails, trees, hanging moss, blinds, vines, sun, clouds, fog, an old cemetery.  At the south end of Jaguarundi Trail I watched a farmer in Mexico working his fields.  At the end of Vireo Trail, looking across the Rio Grande, I identified 17 different birds I was able to put on my Tamaulipas, Mexico list.

 

Altogether, I got to see 60 bird species, including Harris’s Hawk, Gray Hawk, Greater Roadrunner, Chuck-wills-widow, Brown-crested Flycatcher, and Altamira Oriole.  I watched a bobcat in the distance.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment