Sunday, June 12, 2005

Chatfield

Outside the motorhome on the weekend, warm weather, sitting in the lawn
chairs under the awning. Watching the scale model planes circling,
climbing, and diving through the sky. They are so realistic. They do
everything a real airplane can do. How nice they have a model airpark right
here so anyone can fly their plane any time of the day for as long as they
want. These airplanes can do everything a real airplane can do. Except go
away.

They go around and around and around. Droning. Up and down. And around.
Then I start to think maybe there should be more. Maybe if all the airplane
flyers have their own scale model airpark, I should get to have some scale
model artillery. That would add to the realism, wouldn't it? You go around
and around too many times and you find yourself dodging anti-aircraft fire.
Yes. Yes. I'm sure the airplane flyers would appreciate the realism a
little flak would bring to their lives.

Then I hear the jet. I've seen it before. In the midst of all these
propeller driven piston engine planes moaning around the sky, there is a jet
plane. It's a rather large delta wing scale model fighter jet. It makes a
distinctive whooshing sound.

I hear the jet, but I don't see it. I can't see the ground at the airpark,
I can only see and hear the planes flying above it. I hear the jet. It is
so fast, I should see it by now, but I don't. Then I do. It rises slowly
above the trees, stationary in the sky. It's not a delta wing fighter jet!
It's a jet powered helicopter! How cool is that. I've wanted a helicopter
since I was a teenager. We definitely need an exemption for helicopters.
Penalty points assessed if you shoot down a helicopter.