Sunday, December 1, 2002

Trains

It was a good train day. The Louisville Express Line is complete. Not all
the track ballast is down, but the roughest spots are covered. Memo to yard
train builders: put the barrels of track ballast from last year in the sun
a few days before you want to use it. It was a nice fifty degrees warm
today, but I spent the day chipping out frozen gravel from the barrels of
ballast behind the spruce tree, and carrying it by the bucket into the front
yard to pour on the track so it would thaw out, so I could use it.

The Colorado Southern Line, on the south, is about three quarters done. I
change the track layout a little each year, and this year I need one more
piece to make it work. I'll buy a six inch straight and a three inch
straight. I have a four inch gap. I'll just have to see which piece looks
the least forced.

Pictures of the Louisville Express in action.