Friday, April 28, 2017

A highway mystery

 

On our drive home from Phoenix a few weeks ago, east of Fort Stockton, west of Ozona, on Interstate 10 , a white pickup truck passed us with LED amber lights flashing on every corner of the vehicle, front and back.  We wondered why.  There were no identifying marks on the truck.  Was it a utility truck that was going to stop along the shoulder?  Was it an unmarked pilot car?  Or did the driver just want to be the most visible/safest thing on the road?  That could be a really good idea.  What could be safer than flashing amber lights on every corner saying “Hey everybody!  Look at me!”?

 

The more I thought about it, the better the idea sounded.  I could cover my car with flashing amber lights and drive down the highway.  Not only would everyone notice me and not run into me, they’d probably pull over and get out of the way.  My plans to illuminate our next car were suddenly interrupted fifteen minutes later though, when the semi-tractor/flatbed trailer drove past us with a giant bulldozer hanging over each side.  The flashing white pickup was a stealth pilot car!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment