Saturday, November 8, 2014

I need a new "Most Wanted" bird

 

I always have one.  The bird I’m most anxious to find next.  I haven’t had one since we got the Arizona Woodpecker (in Arizona) though; and before that the Swallow-tailed Kite up by Houston.  I don’t pick them, they pick me, and the next bird hasn’t come forward yet.

 

Maybe I’ll make a list of all the U.S. birds we haven’t seen and see if one pops out.  I sure hope it’s something I have a good chance of finding in the next year or so.  Mountain Quail could be a good candidate.  They’re in Northern California on up through Oregon (in the mountainous parts).  They’re the only quail left for us to get.

 

I hope it’s not a Great Gray Owl.  They live in the way north.  They like cold weather.  I don’t want to have to go to Montana or Minnesota in January.  (Judy suggests that would likely be a trip I make alone…)  I hope it’s not something as rare as a Key West Quail-dove.  They’re only in South Florida, and only once in a while.  There aren’t many lifers left for us in Texas.  We’ll probably have to do some traveling.

 

I hope one picks me soon though.  Some things you just want to know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment