Sunday, August 17, 2014

Have I mentioned

 

…that in spite of all the talk about birding, I’m not actually a very good birder?

I don’t have the quick eye to spot small movements.  Other people often locate little birds before I do.  My hearing is limited.  Little birds overhead calling in high pitched voices are silent to me.  I don’t even know they’re there unless someone tells me to look up.  I don’t have the sharp memory to be able to visualize the key identification characteristics of every bird.  I have to try to hold the detail of what I saw in my head until I can go look it up in a book.

 

But, in spite of my shortcomings, I persevere.  I fall back on the words of my racquetball coach from ten years ago.  “Never underestimate the power of insane persistence.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment