Monday, June 2, 2014

Judy taught me the knuckle trick

 

When I was a kid, I learned how many days each month had by naming them in my head; knowing the starting month and every alternate one after that had 31 days each (doubling up with July and August), and the other months had 30 days or less.  If I say the 31 day months a little louder in my head, I can keep track of which month I’m on and how many days it has.

 

Judy learned it a different way.  If you make a fist with your knuckles up, you can count on them.  Count the knuckles and the spaces between, doubling up on July and August as you head back the other direction.  Every knuckle month has 31 days.  Every in-between month doesn’t.

 

That’s the knuckle trick.  I think her way is easier than mine.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment