Sunday, September 14, 2008

Durango

Another place. Alpen Rose RV Park. We’re here in Durango for a job. A quiet drive across Southern Colorado. Quiet all the way to the turn in at the park. Sixty mile an hour two-lane. No traffic behind us. I put on my blinker to turn left. I switched on the exhaust brake. I used the service brakes to slow for the turn. I timed it for oncoming traffic to clear. I checked the driveway I was turning in to. I glanced in the mirror. There was a ratty red pickup truck approaching at high speed just pulling out to pass on the left. That didn’t look good. I saw him realize we were turning left and pull back into the lane behind us and hit his brakes. That looked worse. No way he could stop at that speed. I rolled straight ahead past the turn. He pulled back out and blew by on the left at about fifty.

Things got calmer after that. There was no other traffic around, so the rest was easy. We got the coach leveled, the satellite dish deployed, and the Bronco flag hung by kickoff. The Broncos won it 39 38 by coming from behind and going for two instead of a tie(overtime) in the final moments. Bizarre game. Bizarre calls. Bizarre plays. No defense.

Life on the road.