Saturday, December 18, 2004

Texas

Friday. Time to go.

Texas. They've got big long roads out there.

Straight east out of Colorado. Interstate 70. Through Watkins, Bennett,
Strasburg. Byers, Deer Trail, Limon. Genoa, Flagler, Seibert, Stratton,
Bethune, Burlington, and out of Colorado. Into Kansas and through... and
through... Not much to go through in western Kansas. Kanorado at the
border, then Oakley, WaKeeney, Hays, and suddenly, here we are in Salina.
Salina is as far as we have to go east before we turn south. 450 miles into
the day. A good place to spend the night. A little RV park on a pond.
It's all downhill from here. South is downhill, isn't it?

We did leave at the crack of dawn this trip. Got up, unhooked, closed up,
put some drugs in the cat, and left in the dark. Made it through Denver
before any significant rush, and rushed right into a painful sunrise.
Again. It's really hard to drive east on the plains without encountering
some discomfort. We were hoping for a cloudy morning, but all we got were
just enough thin clouds on the eastern horizon to make a gorgeous sunrise.

Judy said I should include something about what time I woke her up this
morning, so I will. I woke up at five o'clock, ready to get up and go. I
didn't. I didn't say anything or talk to Judy at all, for an hour. I
waited an entire hour until I woke her up. See how nice I was to her?

Family News: Becky decided her optometrist is a quack and she told her so.
The optometrist suggested Becky get bifocals. That means she thinks our
daughter is old enough to require bifocals. I don't think so! This is just
not possible. We agree with Becky. The optometrist is a quack. As Becky
was leaving, she saw what had been written on her chart. "Patient resistant
to bifocals". She is a master of understatement as well as an optometrist.
Becky got her new glasses before we left. New glasses without bifocals.

Major milestone: Conner rolled over from his front to his back. He has
mastered "the turtle". He has teeth.

Alex learned to climb out of his crib. The first clue for Matt and Kari was
the loud "clunk" from upstairs. On the same day, Alex also decided he
should descend stairs standing up and facing forward, just like the big
people do. Good luck.

My knee and I are still at odds. We have settled into a routine. It's not
exactly a peaceful coexistence. It's more like an uneasy truce. I run a
little. I walk a little. It hurts a little. Judy said the funniest thing.
She thinks if I just stop exercising entirely for a while, the knee might
get better. Now why would she say a thing like that?