Monday, June 19, 2017

In spite of my recent efforts

 

In spite of my recent efforts to understand knots, I find my left shoe still comes untied and my right one doesn’t.  Rather than resort to the brute force of a double knot, I want to find the more elegant solution of the perfectly tied knot.

 

Knots are sensitive.  They each work in specific circumstances and not in others.  A good knot, in the wrong application, turns into a bad knot.  Maybe it’s that way with shoe-tie knots.  Maybe what’s perfect for the right shoe is wrong for the left shoe.

 

My solution?  Tie the normal knot on the right shoe, and tie the exact opposite knot on the left.  Easy to say, not that easy to accomplish.  Try it.  Study the way you tie your shoe for the right shoe, then try to reverse everything for the left.  All those years of muscle-memory are hard to overcome; but tied in reverse, the stresses on the left knot should now be exactly the same as the ones on the right knot. 

 

Genius?

 

Maybe.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment