Saturday, April 30, 2016

Fifty years ago,

 

…last Monday, I landed back in The World.  We were so far away and so out-of-touch that was how we referred to home.  “The World.”

 

Wednesday, I returned to Judy.  I never took her home again except the night before our wedding.  Didn’t want to risk any bad luck by seeing the bride during the day before the wedding, so I had her home by midnight the night before.  Otherwise, we stayed together day and night, staying up all night or sleeping on couches.

 

Today, Saturday, we decided to get married the following Saturday.  The alternative would have been for me to go on to Fort Campbell, Kentucky by myself and wait another year to get married, so at 20 and 17, we announced we were getting married in a week.  Legal ages being 21 and 18, each of our parents had to sign for us.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment