Friday, October 25, 2013

Let the marathon begin!

 

(Mindful that we’re timing this with a calendar, not a clock.)

 

I’ve always walked in running shoes because I used to run more than I walked.  Then I started running and walking trails, so I switched to cross-trainers.  Now I almost exclusively walk, so for this effort I bought some shoes from New Balance specifically designed for walking.  I like New Balance because they sell shoes for fat feet (Size 10EEEE).

 

I plan this as a 3 day adventure.  It will fit logically in a weekend plus one weekday.  I picked today to begin.  I found a 10 mile hike bike trail loop

and chose that as today’s victim.  I walked from the City of Mission to the entrance to Bentsen Rio Grande State Park then back.  10 miles.  If I walk 3 more miles I will have completed a half-marathon, setting up the possibility of a 2 day effort instead of 3.  I headed back out, turned around at 2 ½ miles and returned to the car.  15 miles; a 2 mile cushion.  Legs getting tired.  Good start.

 

It was kind of a hot walk.  I didn’t start until sunrise (note shadows above).  It was nice and cool at the start but it was in the eighties for most of my walk and 90 by the time I finished.  Asphalt trail all the way.  My feet were smoking.  I’d better start earlier tomorrow.

 

Time to go home and rest up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment