Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Great news!

 

The CAT Scan this morning confirmed that the stent is in the correct place and function has been restored to my kidney.  Great news.

 

While the radiology techs had me in the other room going through the machine, Judy was outside finding out who was going to read the results, and when.  Instead of having to wait the normal two days before we found out the results, Judy got someone to round up the Radiologist and get a commitment to read the CAT Scan right away.  We sat back down and waited.  Within ten minutes, we had the Radiologist explaining the results to us, then inviting us back to his inner sanctum for a look at them on his computer screens.  On side by side screens he showed us the kidneys, bladder, ureter, stones and the stent.  We saw how everything looked on April 1st, April 21st, and May 7th.  With freeze frames he illustrated how the kidney condition deteriorated before, then recovered after the stent.  He was wonderful.

 

So now we know that the surgery was a success.  The stent is properly installed, and it is doing what it is supposed to do.  A big relief.  This whole adventure is expected to eventually conclude with no permanent damage to my innards.  Now, if only this current situation were actually comfortable.  I’m wearing a 22 centimeter long tube running the length of my ureter.  One end is curled up in a duct in my kidney, the other end curled up in my bladder.  None of my internal organs are enjoying the intruder.  My discomfort is definitely not a kidney stone attack kind of pain, but it hasn’t settled completely down to a level that can be managed by doses of Aleve and warm baths either.  Some days, when I think I’ve gotten through everything that needs immediate attention at work, it’s just time to bail in favor of a hydrocodone and a beer.

 

The urologist wants me to wear the stent for a month before he actually goes in after the stone.  A month from now I may need a drug and alcohol intervention, but we’ll get through this however we need to and deal with whatever follows when it’s time.

 

There it is; my account of our anniversary day.  What else can I say…….hopeless romantics that we are……..we spent it together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment