Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Danger!

 

I have a thought about religion.

 

Have you seen those billboards?

“We need to talk.  God.”

 

There are a whole bunch of them:

 

"What Part of "Thou Shalt Not..." Didn't You Understand?" - God

“Follow Me”.  God.”

“Tell the kids I love them.  God”

"Big Bang Theory, You've Got To Be Kidding." – God

 

I don’t know.  Maybe it’s a Southern U.S. thing.

 

Anyway, here is my thought:  God is the all-knowing, all-powerful being, right?  Isn’t it a little presumptuous when we mere mortals choose to speak for this all-knowing all-powerful being (assuming that someone besides God paid for these billboards)?  Really, if an all powerful, all-knowing being had something to say, would it only tell a few people and have them make up clever billboards?  I’m thinking if it really wanted to be heard, it would take a more direct approach.

 

I don’t know, maybe it would write a book.  Something unambiguous perhaps?  Knowing our proclivity for screwing things up, it wouldn’t try to communicate with us through riddles, would it?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment