Monday, March 24, 2008

Port aransas

Sometimes I think of things other than birds, but this is a major time for birds here in south Texas and we’ve never been here for it. I spend a lot more time at, and thinking about, work than I do watching birds, but so far I’ve been able to resist the urge to send an endless string of stories about, and pictures of, me working.

I haven’t observed the details firsthand, but as I understand, warblers migrate across the Gulf of Mexico; taking ten or twenty hours to make the 600 mile flight. We’re the first landfall, but there is still a long way to go for most. They refuel as fast as they can and head off for the breeding grounds. They migrate mostly at night, so once the migration begins, every day brings new arrivals.

The latest arrival. Hooded warbler.