Sunday, December 4, 2005

Golden


Know how, when you're camping, and it gets quiet at night, and then some
dogs start barking off in the distance, and it goes on and on, and you can't
fall asleep because it's so irritating, and then you discover that it's not
dogs barking, it is a whole flock of Canada geese, and suddenly it's nature
not an annoyance, and everything is okay? Does that ever happen to you?

I struggled with a smell/fragrance/odor/annoyance in the motel in
Carbondale. I just couldn't place it. Something faint, but sharp. Just
the occasional waft. I couldn't locate the source. Something slightly
burnt, but subtle. I tried for days. It only hit me when I was sitting
quietly, working at my computer. It never happened in the other room.

It made me crazy. It wasn't the fridge. It wasn't the sink. It wasn't the
microwave. I just couldn't figure it out. Then, Friday morning, the
epiphany. It appeared in a different room. At the same time as the
fragrance appeared in a different room, the ziplock bag of coffee beans
appeared as well. Coffee beans! Not our normal coffee beans, but some
particularly strong espresso coffee beans. I love that coffee. Problem
gone.