Sunday, September 26, 2004

Arizona

A really interesting thing happened. Well, it's really interesting to me,
anyway. My blood pressure dropped 30 points. 30 points! I've been
struggling with the blood pressure issue for the last few years.
Unmedicated, my blood pressure was 150 over 100. I agreed that was too
high, but I didn't like any of the blood pressure medicines. In some way,
each one interfered with my life. Well, things change. Now my blood
pressure averages 130 over 70. Unmedicated. Haven't had a pill in months.

So what happened? That's not a question to you, that's a question to me. I
don't know. I haven't done anything specifically designed to change my
blood pressure. There is an interesting coincidence with the change in my
work habits, however. The drop in blood pressure has occurred since we
started this mobile office, life on the road thing. That could be a factor.

There are a couple other coincidences as well. Racquetball is gone. I
didn't get tired of it; it just doesn't work on the road. Not at the places
we stay while we're out. We always look for more remote places to stay.
Racquetball is a lot of exercise, but it's a high-energy, burst kind of
activity. Not a slow steady aerobic exercise. Since I don't play
racquetball anymore, I run. Maybe a slow steady twenty-minute aerobic
exercise every day makes a difference.

Then there is diet. We have changed the way we eat in the last year. I
discovered the cause of food-fades. My food-fades are related to blood
sugar. Protein and fat don't have much effect on blood sugar. It's all
about the carbohydrates. Particularly, it's all about complex
carbohydrates. It's easy to make the connection with sugar. High sugar
stuff makes my head buzz. It was harder to figure out complex
carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates, like bread and pasta are supposed to
be the building blocks of a healthy diet, but they can produce a glycemic
reaction just like sugar in the blood stream when they digest. Eliminate
the starchy complex carbohydrates, and my food issues go away. I just feel
good all the time. Maybe the change in diet does more than just make me
feel better.

I doubt that weight is much of a factor. With the change in diet, a few
pounds fell off. Not a significant percentage change, not much more than
5%, but that couldn't hurt, either.

Whatever the reason, I'm delighted with the change. Avoiding any kind of
medicine is a good thing.