Friday, September 28, 2018

I’m a juror

 

A case is put before me.  I'm presented only two witnesses.  They tell opposing stories, which are mutually exclusive; only one can be right, the other has to be wrong.  I have to decide.  Each story is compelling and credible.

 

Witness 1 has nothing to gain and everything to lose by telling their version of the story.  Witness 2 has everything to gain from their version of the story, don't know if there is any more to lose; it's already bad.

 

There is more to the story.  We know it's out there, but I'm not allowed to know or consider it.  Witness 1 requests further information be allowed.  Witness 2 is evasive about allowing it.

 

The testimony of Witness 1 is heartfelt and gut-wrenching.  The testimony of Witness 2 is impassioned and expresses outrage, but some of that outrage is expressed while referring to notes, reading rehearsed talking points.

 

That's it.  That's all I have to go on.  Now I have to choose to believe one and not the other.

 

Witness 2 is not getting my vote.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment