Sunday, June 3, 2018

Parallels

 

For motorhome maintenance, we keep a list.  There are a lot of complicated systems and there are always things that needs taking care of; some things more important than others.  The most important stuff goes to the top of the list and gets attention the soonest.  It occurs to me that it’s a lot like that with our bodies now too.  These are complicated systems.  It’s not like we ever get every issue crossed off the list at once.  There is always the next thing to take care of.  We’ll take care of the most important one tomorrow.

 

Shutting down the motorhome for storage, we turn off master switches for the batteries and the rig goes completely quiet.  When it’s time to restore the motorhome to service, we switch the batteries back on, and find we have to reset all the clocks; they’ve all defaulted to zero.  When I go in for surgery tomorrow, they’re going to shut me down completely.  I’ll go on a heart lung machine and they’ll stop my heart for hours to work on it.  So I wonder:  When they turn me back on, will they have to reset any clocks?

 

Becky is here.  Son Matt is here from Phoenix.  Judy is always here, wherever here happens to be on any particular day.  Many more are with us in spirit.  We go into tomorrow surrounded by friends, family, love, and support.  Judy even plans to whisper sweet nothings in my ear just before they take me away, to make sure I have something pleasant to dream about while I’m out.

 

I’ll report back.  (Not about the sweet nothings and sweet dreams, but about everything else.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment