Saturday, April 22, 2017

Intermittent Fasting

 

The most common current form is referred to as 16:8 fasting.  I’ve seen a couple references to this recently, touting its health benefits.  I’m not a big fan of fasting, but not opposed to it; I decided to give it a look.  There is no end to the information available about this on-line.  It’s the hottest new thing!

 

It’s pretty simple; eat during a certain amount of time, and don’t eat the rest of it.  When you do eat, eat healthy food, and eat as much as you want.  Eat lots of protein and go easy on the starches.  No calorie counting.  No fakey low-fat, or sugar-free foods.  It promotes weight loss, helps with diabetes, reduces cancer and heart disease, extends your lifespan, reduces stress, reduces inflammation, and detoxes your body.  Amazing.  They suggest trying this for two days a week.  Serious adherents do it every day!

 

I had to think about the timing of fasting and eating.  If you quit eating at 8 o’clock at night, go to sleep, wake up, and don’t eat until noon, that’s the 16 part; that’s a 16 hour fast.  Then eat lunch and dinner, all you want, and stop eating again by 8 o’clock.  As I see it, this revolutionary new eating approach could be called by a different name as well; Skipping Breakfast!

 

Years ago, I figured out that I felt better for the rest of the day if I skipped breakfast (the most important meal of the day) and didn’t eat until lunch.  Who knew, all these years, most of my adult life, I have been doing intermittent fasting, specifically the 16:8 plan!

 

A man ahead of his time….

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment