Monday, April 17, 2017

Dog whistle pitch

 

When I was young, I used to be able to mimic a dog whistle.  I discovered that if I blew air just right between my top teeth and bottom lip, I could make the sound.  It’s that high-pitched whistle that only dogs are supposed to be able to hear, but I could just hear it.  I already had a dog whistle to help train my Samoyed dog Queen.  You could blow it to produce a lower audible pitch, then turn a knob which would drive the pitch up out of range; so I recognized the sound a dog whistle made right at the edge of human hearing.

 

It was a subtle thing, and inconspicuous; it didn’t take much effort to produce.  It’s a hard sound to locate, so it helped me pass the time in High School classes watching other students frown and look around for the source of that annoying noise.  I don’t know if I ever told anyone about my talent.

 

After a few years though, that talent faded and I went on to other things; my dog-whistle career over.  Fast forward to now though.  Walking in the woods the other day with my fancy new birding ears headset on, enjoying all the bird and bug sounds I have been missing for all these years, I suddenly thought of that dog-whistle sound.  Could it be?  I gave it a try.  Yes!  All these years I thought the dog-whistle was gone, it was *me* that was gone!

 

I still have it!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment