Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Wild goose chase

 

This time they really were wild geese I was looking for.  Sal del Rey, NWR.  Snow geese and greater white fronted geese reported there the day before.  These geese are winter residents and we see them every year, but we missed them at the beginning of the year this year because I was being good after neck surgery.  (We stayed home the first couple months so I wouldn’t be craning my neck to see birds.)  I hiked in to the refuge and looked.  No geese.

 

Last night at sundown I was stationed an hour away from home by the road at Sacahuistale Flats outside Port Mansfield watching and listening for a ferruginous pygmy owl that had been seen there a couple days before.  Nada.

 

Still at 407 for the year.

 

Woke this morning before dawn by thunder claps.  Hoping that wasn’t a bad omen for election day.  Cool and rainy.  Barely went outside.

 

Suffering election stress.  Watching returns.  No relief yet.  I suspect we’ll be up late.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment