Thursday, September 8, 2016

OMG

 

Thursday.  I just remembered.

 

Thursday was Queer’s Day when I was in High School.  If you wore green and yellow on Thursday, that meant you were queer.  What a concept!  A guy actually had to pay attention to what day it was and what he wore on that day.  I think the penalty for wearing green and yellow on Thursday was a slug in the shoulder.  Of course, nobody you knew was actually queer.

 

How times and consciousness have changed since then.  Now, if you don’t know someone who is gay, then you’re just not paying attention.  Being gay is (mostly) no longer considered to be a choice that should be punished.  It just is.  Some people are, some aren’t.

 

I wonder though if it is as terrifying to adolescent boys now, just coming to terms with their own sexuality, to think that they might be gay, as it was for adolescent boys back then to think they might be “queer”.

 

I hope not.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment