Monday, August 22, 2016

Unsolved mysteries

 

We sleep cool with the air conditioning on.  We get up in the morning and its warm and humid outside.  We walk out the door for morning coffee on the deck, with sunglasses on, and our glasses fog up.  It’s like we’re a giant glass of iced tea; take it outside on a warm day and the outside of the glass gets dripping wet.

 

But back to the eyeglasses.  We can carry a cloth outside with us, wipe the glasses off and they just fog right back up.  For a while.  As temperatures equalize and the fog starts to lift, my right eyeglass always takes longer to clear than the left one.  For a while I dismissed this, figuring maybe my right eye was just breathing harder on the lens than the left eye and fogging it up.  But I don’t really think that’s it.  I put the glasses on the table beside me and watched them until they cleared up.  The left one cleared up first.  That’s the unsolved mystery.  When I’m wearing fogged glasses, why does the left eye always clear before the right one does?

 

An unsolved mystery; until now.  I’ve figured it out.  I had surgery on my left eye a few years back; cataract surgery.  They took out the old clouded lens and put in a new one; one with correction.  Without glasses I see better out of my left eye than I do out my right.  There is more correction in the right lens of my glasses than my left.  That results in a thicker lens.  More mass in a thicker lens means it holds the cold longer; it takes longer to equalize with the outside temperature, so it keep fogging longer.  Mystery solved!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment