Tuesday, July 26, 2016

I think I figured it out!

 

For all these years, I’ve wondered why I get so much spam in my business email account and so little in my personal email account.  If spammers just randomly discovered email accounts, over time they’d have discovered both my email accounts equally.

 

When I buy things, I always use my personal email account.  (Unless it’s for business, but I don’t buy much for business.)  So it doesn’t seem that I’m getting all this spam because I shop on Amazon.com, or because retailers are selling my email address.

 

This has been a longstanding puzzle for me.

 

With absolutely no data or evidence to back up my conclusion though, I think I’ve figured it out.  My business email address is published on our work website.  We invite people to contact us.  Perhaps spammers crawl web pages and pick email addresses off them.  They’ve taken us up on our invitation.

 

That would explain it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment