Wednesday, April 27, 2016

That doesn't happen very often

 

We drove into a Verizon dead zone.

 

South Llano River State Park.  A marvelous place.

 

Got our usual spot.  We can get satellite TV there, but no cell or internet.  We stayed two days anyway.

 

This is an emotional week.  It’s the week fifty years ago I came home from Viet Nam.  Judy is tracking it day by day.  Monday I landed at Travis Air Force Base outside Sacramento.  Mom and Dad met me there.  They knew I would be arriving, but these were the olden days; no such thing as phone calls back and forth to coordinate.  No such thing as notice from the Army about what plane I was on.  Mom and Dad (and all the other families) met every plane for days, standing at the chain link fence watching lines of soldiers deplane to the tarmac, each family trying to pick out their loved one, soldiers searching for a glimpse of family after a year of isolation.  I saw mine waving.

 

Today, Wednesday, I arrived back in Long Beach and rang the bell to surprise Judy.  She says I hugged her so tight she thought she would pop.  She didn’t ask me to stop though.

 

It gets a little teary, reminiscing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment