Saturday, January 9, 2016

Bird ears

 

We took the new cool bird ears out for a test drive.

 

They were wonderful.  I don’t recognize the sound of each bird now, because the sounds are all a lower pitch, but I can tell when birds are around and I can tell which way to look.

 

When Becky came out to visit a few weeks ago, we went to Anzalduas Park, down on the Rio Grande.  While we were out walking around, Becky commented on how loud the bugs were; that it was almost painful.  Neither Judy nor I heard a sound.  But now out on a walk, switch the device off, it’s a silent forest, switch it back on and the air is suddenly filled with insects, frogs, and the occasional bird sound.

 

There are headphones on my head and a small controller in my shirt pocket.  There are tiny microphones on each earpiece of the headset, so this setup is wonderfully directional.  I can’t tell exactly how high a bird is, but I can sure zero in on the direction.

 

These headphones will be my constant birding companion from now on.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment