Monday, December 7, 2015

I was wrong

 

I didn’t think Donald Trump would be the Republican nominee.  I thought he was a loudmouth bigot with no real solutions to real problems, preying on our insecurities and fears, even helping us invent some that are totally baseless, appealing only to people who felt like victims and were willing to be rescued by a bully.  I thought the more he talked, the more he would be found-out, and end up a discarded footnote to the campaign.  Boy was I wrong.  Exactly wrong.  The more he talks, the greater his appeal!

 

Watching the popularity of the candidate grow, I realize that it would be a ridiculous charge to make about such a sizeable segment of our electorate; that they would succumb to such a shallow appeal. There is a much simpler and more likely explanation for Trump’s popularity; it is that there is something going on that I don’t recognize or understand.  Confusion on my part would certainly not be unprecedented; I get confused by lots of things.

 

So there you have it.  I was wrong.  Now I’m right.  I recognize the trend.  Donald Trump *will* be the Republican nominee, and his popularity will continue to grow and he will be elected President of the United States.  Donald Trump.  A man of the people.  President Trump.  Get used to it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment