Sunday, January 25, 2015

A day of "firsts"

 

First off, I stayed awake all day.  That’s a first since the surgery.  I’ve dozed a lot.  I took all of last week off work to recuperate.  That was probably a good idea.

 

Tonight I got to take my first full shower and wash my hair.  It’s okay to get the wound wet now.  Another milestone.

 

Earlier, Judy drove us out to some agricultural fields in search of a small flock of wintering mountain plovers, a prairie falcon, and a ferruginous hawk.  It was not an auspicious start to the day because we whiffed on all three birds, but then we saw a juvenile golden eagle soaring.  It looked like this.  (Not my picture.)

Year-bird.

 

Then we drove to another spot and got the long-tailed duck way at the back of the pond.  (It’s the black and white thing in the middle.)

Year-bird.

 

(Here is what it is supposed to look like up close.)

 

While we were at the pond for the long-tailed duck, we heard about a marbled godwit, drove to the spot, and got that.

Year-bird for the county.

 

So in the last two days, we’ve gotten six county birds for the year.  This is working just fine..

 

Grilled chicken for dinner.

 

Time to go back to work tomorrow.  I can do that.  Maybe sometime during the day I can get over to Estero Llano Grande for a Gray-crowned Yellowthroat too…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment