Tuesday, September 9, 2014

600?

 

 

Blue Swedish Duck.

 

It’s a little iffy recording it though.  It’s a domestic duck not normally found in the U.S.  There are two of them living in a city park across the street from Chatfield State Park.  I don’t have a problem that they’re domestic; I put in my sightings when I see domestic Muscovy ducks in a pond, or feral Indian peafowl, or red Junglefowl running wild in Key West.

 

But those domestic ducks are listed in ebird.  These Blue Swedish Ducks are a little more difficult.  Ebird doesn’t have an exact match for Blue Swedish Ducks.  The domestic Blue Swedish Ducks are descended from wild Blue Ducks in New Zealand; and that bird does show up in ebird.  I’m recording my sighting of these two birds as Blue Ducks, with a note that they’re domestics.  600 species!  (for now)  We’ll see what the ebird moderator has to say about that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment