Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Big Day is coming!

 

No, I’m not having a religious moment.  This is the Birding Big Day.  Jon and I.  We’re set for Saturday, starting Friday night at midnight.  24 hours straight through.  How many species of birds can we identify in that time?  We can identify them by sight or sound; it doesn’t matter.  It just matters that we’re sure.

 

Left to my own devices, I can go find 100 birds in a day this time of year.  We expect to see 200 or more on Saturday.  The first hundred birds are easy.  Seeing twice as many birds in one day is a lot more than twice as hard.  I don’t think 10 times as hard would adequately describe it.  “Totally impossible” would be more accurate for me on my own.  For the second hundred birds, you really have to know what you’re doing.  Lucky for me, Jon is a professional birder.  He guides people to all the hard-to-find birds, so he is perfectly prepared for this.  All I have to do is try to keep up.

 

In the meantime, here are some photos of usual suspects.

 

Green Heron

 

Nutria

(This doesn’t count as a bird.)

 

Sora

 

Scarlet Tanager

 

(Male and female.)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment