Saturday, February 15, 2014

I have to enforce a turnaround

 

While on a short hike I find a moment so wild and glorious I would hike all day without food or water, lie on the ground at dark, spend the night watching the stars/listening to the sounds all around me, get up the next morning, and do it all again.  When I’m out for a hike, it helps to have a predetermined turnaround distance or time.

 

It happened today while walking the Yturria Brush Tract in Way South Texas.  It happens while wandering the rolling prairie grasslands behind Matt’s house.  I have succumbed to the urge while hiking back and forth across the continental divide in the high country of Colorado, and carried sleeping gear to get me through the night.  Sometimes I just want to keep going, making the experience last longer, embracing every sensation.  Sometimes I’m overcome by hiking euphoria.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment