Saturday, December 28, 2013

Brisket

 

A good brisket doesn’t just happen.  This piece of meat is known for being hard to get just right.  I’ve been grilling and smoking other meat: steak, chicken, ribs, and chops, just working my way up to a brisket.  For my first effort a couple weeks ago, I only got a portion; about a 3 pound flat.  I cooked it low and slow with smoke.  I did some things well, but didn’t get it completely right.  The flavor was good, but the meat was almost dry and tough.

 

Today was a good day for another shot at it since we were going to be here all day.  I took a more ambitions step and bought a whole brisket.  This one includes both the flat and the point and weighs 7 ½ pounds altogether.  I trimmed it, got it on by 8am, smoked it, wrapped it, and finished it.  We ate at 5:30.

 

It came out like it should, looking more like a meteorite than a meal, but not burnt.

 

Slow-cooking, it never gets hot enough to burn.  That dark outer layer is the “bark”, a combination of smoke and rub.

 

This one was pretty good, but we’re still not quite there.  Got to be lower and slower so it will be even more tender.  I might have to wait for warmer weather, set the alarm, and start it cooking in the dark.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment