Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I bird about the same amount every year

 

A lot of people use eBird online to track their sightings.  eBird also serves as a global database of bird population data, so it seems like a pretty good idea.  I record my birds there, usually getting something in the neighborhood of 400 species a year.  There is a feature in eBird to rank your number of sightings against everyone else’s to see how you’re doing.  In 2010, I recorded 397 birds which almost got me into the top 100 for the entire U.S.  I finished at number 106.

 

It seems more and more birders are recording their sightings in eBird though.  Last year I recorded a record number of sightings for me, 407.  That was only good enough for 190th in the country.  I’m falling fast.  This year, so far, I’m in 453rd place.  I’d better step up my game…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment