Sunday, July 28, 2013

Maine

 

Only cost us $20 in tolls.  So far.

 

We drove I-95 because we wanted to get the most states we could on a single pass through.  The tricky ones to get were Delaware and Rhode Island.  They don’t really need to be on the way to Maine, but we got them no problem.

 

Up this morning by six, gone by eight.  It was a leisurely coffee in the yard.  Good roads.  Light traffic.  Smooth sailing.  The way motorhoming is meant to be.

 

We followed I-95 again today, but we skirted Providence, R.I. with I-295, then skirted Boston with I-495.  Yesterday was a push to get through all the cities for 400 miles in 10 hours with lots of traffic.  Today was a breeze:  200 miles in 4 hours.  We got 9 new states in 2 days and still stopped nice and early today.

 

 

Only three states left in the lower forty-eight, but we’re through getting new states for a couple weeks.  We’re going to hunker down in Maine and enjoy it.

 

Today we’re at the Durham KOA.  Nice spot for an overnight.  It’s a destination KOA.  Lots of people are spending their vacations here.

 

Cool and misty.

 

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201563872774147443355.0004e02f0c80f1461c0bf&msa=0&ll=37.439974,-81.430664&spn=23.476512,53.569336

 

 

Judy is still laughing about my response at the toll booth to the George Washington Bridge.  I opened my window.  The booth attendant mumbled something.  I said “Excuse me.”  The attendant pulled the ipod headphone out of one ear and mumbled something that sounded like “Sixty dollars”.  I wasn’t sure I heard her right.  I said “Six Zero”?  She nodded.  I paid.  We moved on.  I was stunned.

 

And another thing.  Driving in D.C.  Imagine driving down a neighborhood, one lane either direction, and a left turn lane in the middle.  Cars parked in the curb lanes.  For rush hour traffic, they tell the cars to move out of the parking lane and signs over the road light up and say “Use all three lanes.”  Traffic in the center lane where it’s supposed to be; traffic going straight through in the turn lanes; and traffic in the parking lane except for when it has to dive left into the middle lane because someone is still parked in the parking lane.  Disconcerting.

 

A very comfortable day today though.

 

Tomorrow’s destination.  Sunset Point Campground, Harrington, Maine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment